Monday, June 27, 2011

What's for dinner?

Do you ever wonder what other people are doing at dinner time? I always wonder what other people are eating for dinner? Do they sit down at the table? Do they sit in front of the t.v.? Do they cook? Do they use a recipe? Do they eat out? Take out? Or are they like Mammaw R....she is a walking cook book!
      I really enjoy cooking for my family and serving them meals. Some nights I REALLY do not want to cook-mainly because I don't want to wash dishes! And I don't every night, but most of the time I do and it is fun! I have found it really helpful to have a set dinner time. I like knowing that we are going to eat dinner at 5(in the winter) and have the kids bathed and in bed by 6:30. This Summer I have not been as scheduled, in fact I have been a little lazy! But, it is still helpful to have a plan.
      If you could care less what we do at dinner time then stop reading or just skip to the end! This is for people who want to know about the lives of others. I will share a peek at our dinner time with you. Of course there is chaos! I have three little boys....what else would you expect?! By this time of day, Beau is usually crying and wants to be held (he is going down at 6:15 these days), Jackson and Baylor are "starving" and I am yelling for M to come help! He of course usually comes running-he likes to eat:) So he will take them off my hands so I can cook (such a good daddy). We always have buffet style-no reason to wash more dishes than you have to! We wash hands (hope you do too!) we say the blessing and eat. Yes, M and I get frustrated. Yes, the whining is annoying. Yes, it is all worth it. This is my absolute favorite time of day. There is something about sitting down with my family around the same table, and sharing a meal together. We are not perfect, and don't let me paint a perfect picture. More food ends up on the floor than is even understandable. We have to wash dishes, faces, hands, and clothes when it's over. We have whiny, Im not hungry, and one-more-bite sitting around our table! But, even in the 'work' we are being a family. Living and loving together.
       We have started something new at our table. I got the idea from this blog: www.aholyexperience.com. We read scripture together. Not much, because the people around my table do not have long attention spans:) but what I have noticed when we share God's word together at the table is that the boys think it is so special. They love it! What would it be like if we all sat around our tables and shared God's word together? What if it was that special to us? I pray that I can appreciate His Word as much as my children.
       I love fast easy meals that are healthy! Tonight we had chicken Spaghetti. It takes about 35 minutes to cook the entire meal! If you use canned chicken (yes, I said I use canned chicken!) I only use premium canned chicken :) and only in casseroles, never in things like chicken salad. Just try it! I promise you will be glad you did! Here is the recipe:

1 large can of chicken                                 8-oz pkg angel hair pasta
1 can of Rotel                                             8-oz Velveeta cheese(melted)
8-oz can of cream of chicken soup             1/2 cup of milk

I add a little Tony Chachere's seasoning to mine.

Cook pasta until done. Spray 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Mix all ingredients, pour in casserole dish and bake for 30 min on 350.

Yes, it's that easy! Throw a bag of broccoli in the microwave and some rolls in the oven and you have an excellent, healthy meal that your family can enjoy together around the table, and afterward you can share the real bread of life!

"Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty." John 6:35

"Man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord." Duet. 8:3

5 comments:

  1. So...what's for dinner tomorrow night?!?!

    And, if the only obstruction to getting your cooking is dishes, then consider them done! I'm all in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is for dinner?!

    By the way, this is the real me (on the blogosphere). That other guy (above) doesn't even have a blog (loser). Course, my blog fizzled out and was buried for now. It may reemerge in the future but for now R.I.P.

    I love your cooking! Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when you throw in the recipe's Jessica..lol..!! I love chicken spaghetti, although I never thought of using canned chicken it probably would be A LOT less time consumming! Your doing a great job on your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dinner at my house? Hmm... well, we eat out a lot more often than I would like. Especially when I am pregnant because pregnancy hormones make me anti-cooking. Adam says we eat out to build a presence in the community and create relationships. I say we're just lazy.
    When we do cook at home, we use recipes from cookbooks or cooking magazines. Food and Wine Magazine gets a lot of use around here. I don't like cooking the same thing over and over. I like variety and I like to try new things. Adam cooks quite a bit here, too. We don't eat casseroles or many boxed or canned things. What can I say? I married a foodie. Almost everything is from scratch. Boxed cake mix has even made the black list around here.
    We always eat together around the dinner table. Imogene refuses to eat anything with meat in it. (She also freaks out about seeing parsley about half the time.) Emery eats anything you sit in front of him. Aidan generally plays the drums on his plate with his fork. The older two insist on glass goblets to drink from. Surprisingly, we have very few drink spills this way. Ransom sleeps. Aidan and Imogene fight over who gets to say the blessing, so we usually have to hear "God is great..." twice. We don't really do leftovers (unless we make pizza or lasagna).

    ReplyDelete