Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Date Night

Date night is VITAL in a relationship. Trust me, I know what you are thinking....kids, work, money, time,  babysitter, etc. Basically in your mind you probably just ran through all the reasons you CAN'T go out on a date with your husband/ wife. We complain that we do not have time! Everyone has 24 hours in a day and all 24 hours are not spent working. Yes, your husband/wife might work late and might be tired or might have a headache:) But you HAVE got to invest in your marriage.

Date night is so important to Marshall and me. We started having a date night once a week about 4 years ago. It has become our favorite night of the week! I STRONGLY suggest/ insist you do this! I love to spend time with my husband. And lets face it, with kids it is hard to spend quality time together with just the two of us. It must be a priority. You must make your marriage a priority. Wives make your husband your priority. Husbands make your wife your priority. When is the last time you went on a date with your spouse? Can you remember? Sadly,a lot of  people can't.

Now, I am going to tell you reasons why all of the excuses don't mean much to me.....

Money: First of all, we know all about not having "money" to go on a date. I never said you have to go spend a lot of money, I just said "go on a date". Be creative. Make date night part of your budget. Make it one of your "bills".....it is that important! Some nights we stay in for our date. We put the kids to bed (by 7) and share a meal with just the two of us. We don't usually watch T.V., but especially not on date night.

I don't really count going to a movie as date night for us. You pay $18 and don't even say anything to each other. Then again movies just are not my thing. You may enjoy watching movies together. It's your date night, not mine:) Just be sure that you are connecting with your husband/ wife.

Kids: I know about this too, I have three. You don't have anybody to keep your kids....well, you may not have family around but this is where budgeting for your date is so important. You can pay a babysitter and go hang out at Starbucks or in your car:) ha! That is free! Even if you only do this every two weeks, start somewhere! Once a month? Again, be creative. Family, friends, teenagers, neighbors, trade sitting services with a friend. Lots of options.

Time/ work: You absolutely have to make time. What do you spend your time doing? Not many people work 24 hrs a day/ 7 days a week. What do you do in your spare time? I don't care what you do, but is there a way to take a couple of hours a week out to invest in your marriage? Can you rearrange your schedule?

You don't have to go every Friday night. Go on a Sunday afternoon. You can go any day you want. You have to start somewhere. Once a month? Every other week? The first step is to get out of the rut. Love your husband/wife. Spend time together, just the two of you. You won't regret it! I promise!

Bottom line: You have to make time. Your children are watching. Our kids know that we go on a date every week, and if something happens and we don't, they notice. We make each other a priority. Our marriage comes first. God created marriage and it is a gift. Thank God for your husband. Thank Him for your wife

Now, go on a date with your husband/wife!!! Love them, treasure them, and have fun!!!!

The man who finds a wife finds a treasure, and he receives favor from the Lord. Proverbs 18:22

Let your wife be a fountain of blessing for you. Rejoice in the wife of your youth. Proverbs 5:18

2 comments:

  1. Girlllllll, you are preaching right at me on this one. It's not for lack of trying.... we can't afford to even pay a babysitter and sit in the car right now LOL! But we haven't had a date since , well, I don't know ;( We've been trying to for months now! It's not the time thing for us, it's money and sitter. We're trying to find someone we can trust with our kids. We think we've found someone, but we just gotta have the money to pay them! I don't even know what a sitter costs these days?! I've never had to pay one haha! But you're so right... and I hadn't really thought about putting the boys to bed early and just enjoying some extra time alone together! That would definitely be a start! Thanks for the idea! It may be a little harder to get my crew down that early since they're not used to going down when the sun's still out! But it's definitely worth a shot! We're determined to make this work! I miss date night so much! What about double dating? Can that still be considered date night? It's not time alone with your hubby, but it's time spent with him away from the kids... we have friends who have a teenage daughter who's willing to babysit for chicken nuggets, and we've had to cancel one date with them because of money :( I'm not making excuses at all! I really WANT to make it work... cause you're right, it's REALLY important! Guess I'm just brainstorming out loud ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our date night is actually this coming Friday! YIPEE :)

    ReplyDelete