Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Granddaddy's last days

This is not a "happy" post, but I felt like sharing it today. It is reality and not everything in this life is "happy"...

Cancer is the dreaded word that no family wants to hear. I remember when we first heard it about Granddaddy. He had lymphoma first. And he beat it! He was later diagnosed with lung cancer. That was definitely not something any of us wanted to hear. But, he beat it! The first time. Granddaddy was a smoker part of his life. I guess that was the cool thing to do. But, he quit when he found out he had cancer. The lung cancer still returned...

 There are certain things in my life that are ingrained in my memory and I will never forget. One of those is when we found out that Granddaddy's cancer was back. He had been sick and Nana and I took him to the emergency room at Hartselle Hospital. He was having a hard time catching his breath. Of course all of the family came and we were all concerned because he was so sick. At first his Dr. thought it was pneumonia. After he had x-rays Doc told Nana that he thought it looked bad and that his cancer could be back. He sent him to Huntsville Hospital to have more tests run and find out exactly what was going on. This is another day I will not forget. Nana still had her corded phone that hung on the wall in the kitchen all my life. She got the call and the look on her face told me it was bad. Very bad. His cancer had returned. I have only seen Nana cry a handful of times in my life and this was one of them. There would be no treatment. Granddaddy came home with hospice. The doctor gave him 6 months.

Nana stood by Granddaddy's side in sickness and in health. They would have celebrated 62 years of marriage this year. They were my example. My precious Granddaddy one of the best men I have ever known. He loved the Lord and he gave of himself always. He served our country, the church, his family, and those in need. He worked hard and loved Nana. He was such a good man. He was a father to me when my own was not there. And I am so thankful for that.

He only lived one month after he left the hospital. He was on oxygen and in so much pain. Everyday our family would be there. His children and grandchildren. We spent those last days being together as a family. Nana and Granddaddy's house was full! We sat on his bed with him and talked. I remember one day my sisters and I were being silly, asking him lots of questions, and I asked him what Nana was to him, he looked at her and said she was his angel. What a precious picture of their love for each other. Neither of them were ever very emotional or open about their relationship. It was a huge deal when I saw them kiss! But this meant so much to me and still does.

The last few days were tough. He was ready. He was ready to be with Jesus and we knew it would be soon. It was my very first day of school, I was a junior in high school. My uncle and mother had stayed in his room and were there when I left. I went to say goodbye. He was awake when I left and I told him I loved him. He told me he loved me. And that was the last time I talked to him.

Just a few hours later, I was sitting in chapel at school and my principal brought a note in and I knew then that it was Granddaddy. I met my mother at the office and we went straight home. The school was only a few minutes away, we pulled in the driveway and my uncle gave us the news. He was gone. What a bittersweet day. Our hearts were broken because he was gone from this world, away from us. But praise Jesus he was not in pain anymore. He was well! The following days were hard. We all still miss him.

Granddaddy's favorite song was Jesus Loves Me. All I have left are memories like this of this precious man. I can pass those along to my kids. Details of his life that made him who he was. They will know what a great man he was. He was a father to me. I loved him and look forward to seeing him again one day! And every time we sing Jesus Loves Me, I think of him and his love for Jesus and remind my boys of that love.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment