Thursday, July 14, 2011

Extra cabinet space

I have a blank wall in my kitchen and I needed more cabinet space. So, I set out on a mission. My pantry was very crowded with baby food, and I wanted something specifically for baby food storage.

Marshall kept the boys so I could go thrift store shopping! I did not want to spend much money and thrift stores and craigslist are great places to find deals! I had plans to paint whatever I found, so it just needed good bones:)

I went to 4 thrift stores and finally on my final stop, I found the PERFECT piece. It was exactly what I had pictured! Well, the price on it was $75! That was waaayyyy more than I wanted to pay. I initially wanted to pay less than $30. Side note: I had a yard sale the previous Saturday and my sister sold a mirror for $25 to this man. Well, in my search, at the thrift store where the "perfect" piece was, I saw that same mirror! The man that bought it was selling it for $99!!!! Wow! Maybe I should get into that business! ha! Apparently he buys yard sale items and resells them for a profit at his thrift/antique store.

Well, I thought I would bargain with him:) Obviously he is trying to make a profit, but I could tell he wanted to sell something! He told me he would take $50 immediately. Well, I still did not want to pay the price, but it was the perfect piece. I offered him $40, he said he couldn't do that, and then I acted uninterested, all the while calling M and asking what I should do! I am very indecisive:) He told me to buy it if I wanted it!

On my way out the door I said $45, and he took it:) I spent a little more than I had planned, but I LOVE the piece and I have learned that if you find the perfect item it probably won't be there when you go back!

He loaded it in the car and I was off. I roughly sanded the cabinet down and then painted it black.  Then I roughed it up a little for the whole antique look. I sprayed the handles silver only because I had it on hand, and I LOVE it! I am really happy with my purchase. What do you think? perfect or what?


Before


Add caption
After:)



1 comment: